1982 to 2009
- We began operations as a Foundation on Jjune 30, 1982 in the city of Cali.
- We were the first Foundation in Latin America associated with the Women’s World Banking network.
- We were financed via donations, soft loans, and national, international and multilateral technical cooperation.
- We were the first microfinance company to issue debt on the New York Stock Exchange.
- Our operations are nationwide.
2010 to 2011
We created Banco W
- Definition of a vision to incorporate a for-profit entity and obtain the banking license.
- Banco W, started operations in February 2011 under the supervision and regulation of the Colombian Financial Superintendence.
- The Bank expanded the offer of new financial products and services (credit, term deposits, savings accounts and micro insurance, among others).
2012 to 2016
We reformulated our mission
- We created the Centro de Liderazgo para la Mujer (Center for Women’s Leadership) and the Centro de Investigación para las Microfinanzas (Research Center for Microfinance).
- We started the business mentoring program.
- We launched the first part of the “Mujeres que Inspiran Mujeres” (Women who inspire women) radio program.
- We made our first social impact investment through the Limited Capital Partners Fund.
2017 to 2021
We consolidated and expanded our activities
- We opened a training program called “Yarú: Camino Integral para Emprendedoras” (Yarú: Integral Path for Entrepreneurs) in seven cities in the Valle del Cauca.
- We created the Fundación WWB Colombia Fund for Research.
- We launched the first free application for financial education, Miga.
- We created the first Observatory for Women’s Equity in Valle del Cauca (OEM), in alliance with ICESI University.
- We built and presented a headquarters to the city of Cali for training processes in spaces that promote equality.
- We joined the global group of PRI (Principles for Responsible Investment) signatories. We made social impact investments in ACUMEN’s ALEG fund and in social impact bonds (BIS2).
Awards granted to the Foundation
Pacto Empresarial por la Equidad 2019
Accreditation as an institution that promotes gender equality and endorses the Pacto – Alcaldía de Santiago de Cali
Premios Portafolio 2018
Category: contribution to the community. Recognition of the effort and commitment to the comprehensive empowerment of women entrepreneurs in situations of socioeconomic vulnerability in Valle del Cauca.
Human Rights Leader Award 2018
Awarded by the Canadian Embassy in Colombia, for the promotion of gender equality, economic empowerment, and the rights of women, adolescents, and girls.
Favorece a la vivencia de los derechos de la mujer, las niñas y la equidad de género 2017. Reconocimiento Alcaldía de Cali y Secretaria de Equidad de Género.
Reconocimiento Alcaldía de Cali y Secretaría de Equidad de Género.
Premios Portafolio 2015
Nomination “Contribution to the community”.
Commendation for contributing to the economic development of the municipality of Yumbo.
Premios Colombia en Línea 2014
Nomination for Best Social Inclusion Content.
MIX Market and IDB acknowledge the Foundation, 2014
Ranked among the top 10 microfinance institutions (MFIs) in terms of portfolio quality, as well as among the top 10 most efficient MFIs in the average balance per loan over USD 500 category.
Award for Excellence in Microfinance in Latin America and “Support for Microenterprises” prize 2003
Awarded by the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB)
“First collateralized loan obligation backed by microfinance institution loans” award, 2004
Awarded by BlueOrchard Finance S.A. with OPIC.
Mejor gestión de apoyo a los empresarios colombianos 2005 -2006
Microenterprise category awarded by Bancoldex.
La Cruz de Plata de la Orden Nacional 2005
Presidencia de la República de Colombia
La Cruz de Bronce Concejo de Santiago de Cali 2005
As an exemplary effort before Cali’s public because of its permanent work to benefit low-income microentrepreneurs.
Premio Carlos Lleras Restrepo 1999- 1998
Category of best financial intermediary for microenterprises, category for nation Foundations and NGOs.
Where are we?
Carrera 63A # 5-28, Barrio Cañaveralejo.
Between the Pampalinda and Refugio stations.
(602) 387 68 60 – Opción: 1